[Help-smalltalk] Re: GTK+ news

From: Robert Collins
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: GTK+ news
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:20:51 +1000

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 23:42 +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Hi, I've made some quite heavy work on Robert's blox-gtk (I started from
> patch-78, luckily as of now there are no more commits).  The result is
> that the browser works pretty well with Gtk+ without any modifications
> to the kernel/ and browser/ directories.

Thats fantastic.

>   Layout is done using
> (blasphemy...) the GtkPlacer geometry manager, which is my Gtk+
> implementation of the Tk placer.
>
> The changes are very hard to post here because I made some refactoring
> (there was some misunderstanding about container/connected: I wanted
> every object to have a connected widget, identical to the container if
> necessary).
>
> However, given the severe bug that save.c had in the last beta, I may do
> another public release before I upload the arch archive to
> sourcecontrol.net; I'll also release 2.1.9 now that the changes to the
> Gtk+ bindings are stabilized.
>
> Summary of changes anyway is:
> - I moved the GtkScrolledWindow stuff up to BViewport.

Yeah.

> - I changed BForm to use GtkPlacer.

We differ on this :). GtkLayout is precisely what GtkPlacer does at the
base - but we can do it all in smalltalk :).

> - I changed several methods in BText to be more consistent with what the
> Tk methods do.
> - I did the change to have a VBox *and* Placer in a BWindow.
> - I implemented BContainer>>#stretch:
> - I moved the GtkUIManager to the menu bar.  Menus are quite messy
> (because at some moment they just stopped working and I hacked them
> until they worked again :-) and I am not satisfied but it works.

GtkUIManager should be on the window - its designed to manage multiple
menus and buttons and so on, dynamically changing them as plugins etc
add new facilities. I'm pretty sure that having it on the window will
make that easiest for us..

> - I fixed some FIXMEs :-)
> - I added support for popup menus.
>
> Thank you very much Robert for allowing me to do a warm start!

No problem!.

Please do push your arch archive as soon as possible... so I can play
with your stuff without having to manually merge it :).

Rob