Re: [Help-smalltalk] Delay and fork

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Delay and fork
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:59:06 +0100

You fork your processes at the same priority. By default, Smalltalk is
non-preemptible. They run until they yield or have finished their work.
Smalltalk is preemptible, it is not time sharing. Smalltalk processes run until they yield, ahve finished their work, or until a higher-priority waiting process is woken up by a signal on a semaphore.

In other words, semaphores (which means Delays and I/O events too) will preempt a process if lower priority processes are running.

I guess I assumed that Delay's wait would yield control as well.

It does indeed.

I see. I need to configure with  --enable-preemption, presumably.
This would enable time sharing.