Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: IO and Process Scheduler

From: kraehe
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: IO and Process Scheduler
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:52:05 +0200

Moin Robert Collins,

> Well I think single process model is very easy to program to. That said,
> it should be possible to provide that whilst implementing an event loop
> under the scenes as it were. See twisted in python for instance.

  using a select() based loop is most common for writing multi user
  telnet server, in most languages. So I think a fileOp: PRIM_MULTI_POLL
  would be nice, to follow the most typical design pattern. But still
  there is a bug with co-processes waiting for input, because gst was
  designed that a MUD server like posted above must work.

  Take a look at www.copyleft.de/Smalltalk/GST-Network.st for my gst
  network code and www.copyleft.de/Smalltalk/MUD-Collection.st for
  the current progress with Squeak. I've deceided against a C like
  select() design pattern and for co-processing. A bug fix for
  processes to wait for IO would be great, because I still prefer
  the gst over squeak for several reasons.

Bye Michael
--
  mailto:address@hidden             UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:2.4.29'UNZ+1'
  http://www.xml-edifact.org/           CETERUM CENSEO WINDOWS ESSE DELENDAM