Re: [Help-smalltalk] gst 2.1.11 - Gtk+ binding examples

From: Mike Anderson
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] gst 2.1.11 - Gtk+ binding examples
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:13:53 +0000

Michael Haupt wrote:
Hi Mike,

I'm sending this to the list again, since your response was sent to me only.

On 8/28/05, Mike Anderson <address@hidden> wrote:

The example scripts don't include any command to actually load the
package. You basically need a chunk:

PackageLoader fileInPackage: 'GTK'
!

at the top of each example script, or create an image with the package
loaded:

PackageLoader fileInPackage: 'GTK'!
ObjectMemory snapshot: 'GTK.im'; quit!

Then your invocation would be:

gst -gI GTK.im example_hello.st

Thanks for this, but the symptoms are quite similar still. As far as I
can see from the output this generates, it attempts to load the same
files as GtkDecl.st. The output this time, when loading MoreFuncs.st,
is:

-----
Recompiling classes...
Object: nil error: did not understand
#defineCFunc:withSelectorArgs:returning:args:
UndefinedObject(Object)>>#doesNotUnderstand:
UndefinedObject>>#executeStatements
(((many more of those)))
-----

So, this time, gst doesn't complain about some C functions not having
been defined, but about #defineCFunc:withSelectorArgs:returning:args:
being sent to nil. Actually, it's sent to Gtk, but that class does not
seem to be existing.

Again, thanks for your help, but I'm afraid I need some more...

My installation is in a state of flux at the moment, so take this with a pinch of salt...

The class Gtk should be in the namespace GTK. This is now done using the tag <namespace> in packages.xml (interpreted by the PackageLoader class), but it used to be done manually in one of the loader files for the package. Not sure which it is in 2.1.11. Loading the package properly, rather than loading GtkDecl.st manually, makes sure.

Similarly, your original error looks to me like the module gst-gtk.so (where those functions are exported from) is not loaded. That is acheived by the <module> tag in packages.xml.

So I think that your original error may have been resolved, and we're now seeing a new error.

The declaration of Gtk is in GtkDecl.st, and that gets filed in first, so the question is, why do the later files not find it?

Can you check whether the class Gtk exists in the namespace GTK? ie. does the class GTK.Gtk exist?

Mike