Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: smalltalk compiler

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: smalltalk compiler
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:55:28 +0200

Markus Fritsche wrote:

My name is Avelino Herrera Morales and I am new in this list and with the Smalltalk :-). Have the GNU Smalltalk a compiler? I would have a compiler to byte code that allow me to execute only byte code files (not source code files) directly. Like the "javac" compiler and "java" virtual machine separate applications for the java language.
What with objects which were created at compile time (if these are possible in
gst)?

They are possible. But he could use the ObjectDumper facility to do a binary dump of the objects.

Does GNU Smalltalk have 'hard' references to ClassVars in Methods?
It stores them as VariableBinding objects. Currently these are not special cased by the ObjectDumper, but they ought to (i.e. the ObjectDumper should store them as the path from the root namespace, Smalltalk, to the VariableBinding object).