Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk 2.2 release announcement

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk 2.2 release announcement
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:15:08 -0600

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 17:16 +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> GNU Smalltalk 2.2 will be available in a few minutes from
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/smalltalk.

Hooray!

> - A sharp-bang sequence at the beginning of a file is parsed as a
> one-line comment.

This makes this possible:

#!/bin/sh
"exec" "gst" "-f" "$0" "$@"

Which seems to be the best way to execute a Smalltalk script if you
don't want to hardcode the path, due to the following.

> - Provides an "-f" option (long option "--file" to be used in a #! line,
> as in "#! /usr/bin/env gst -f",

According to the Guile documentation, some Unix systems only allow one
argument on the #! line, making the above equivalent to /usr/bin/env
"gst -f" <file>.  See above for an alternative.  I am not sure that
matters, of course, as I don't know whether that includes any of the
platforms GCC supports.

--
Stephen Compall
http://scompall.nocandysoftware.com/blog