[Help-smalltalk] Embedding GNU Smalltalk

From: David Given
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Embedding GNU Smalltalk
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:29:00 +0000

I have a project in mind for which I'm interested in using GNU Smalltalk. This
is to build an embedded device based on a pure Smalltalk system, using the
Smalltalk VM as the 'operating system'. GNU Smalltalk appears to be the best
candidate for doing this.

Unfortunately, because it'll be running on the bare metal using as stripped
down a libc as I can manage, this means I'll need to know about all the
various components that make up GNU Smalltalk so I can switch off all the
ones that won't work. This in turn will mean I need to know about the
consequences of switching them off... for example, the sigsegv library
requires an MMU, so won't work on my ARM OMAP board. This in turn means I
won't be able to use generational garbage collection. What will the penalties
of this be?

Is there any overview document of GNU Smalltalk from a systems integration
point of view that anyone can point me at?

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "...you could wire up a *dead rat* to a DIMM
+- www.cowlark.com --+