Re: {Spam?} Re: [Help-smalltalk] [Q] Unicode String?

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: {Spam?} Re: [Help-smalltalk] [Q] Unicode String?
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 11:17:07 +0200

Chun Sungjin wrote:
Hi,

main problem is that for example, if I did create an instance of string like this;

a := 'Some MultiByte Encoded String'.

then

a size

does not answer correct length of string.
Well, strlen does not in C, too. You need mbrlen, and #size is more like strlen than mbrlen.

Also, the result heavily depends on the chosen character set. If we want to have #utf8Size, that's fine. But #size should be the number of *bytes*, not of characters.

I'm seeing now if I can add an EncodedStream method that extracts Unicode characters. Then what you wanted would be something like

   (EncodedStream wordsOn: 'some string') contents size

for which, of course, we can add a utility method.