Re: [Help-smalltalk] Trying to run browser...

From: Mike Anderson
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Trying to run browser...
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 20:07:24 +0000

Brian Brown wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have a fresh xUbuntu install, (6.06) and I have installed gst from the
> synaptic package manager. The went fine, and gst runs fine from the
> command line.
>
> I loaded up the info pages and started going through them and then tried
> the command:
>
> gst -qK browser/Run.st
>
> Which provided the following traceback:
> "Scavenging... 92% reclaimed, done"
> Object: DLD error: requested module blox-tk was not found
> SystemExceptions.CInterfaceError(Exception)>>#signal
> SystemExceptions.CInterfaceError class(Exception class)>>#signal:
> DLD class>>#addModule:
> optimized [] in PackageLoader class>>#primFileInPackage:
> Set(HashedCollection)>>#do:
> PackageLoader class>>#primFileInPackage:
> optimized [] in PackageLoader class>>#fileInPackages:
> OrderedCollection(SequenceableCollection)>>#do:
> PackageLoader class>>#fileInPackages:
> PackageLoader class>>#fileInPackage:
> UndefinedObject>>#executeStatements
> /usr/share/gnu-smalltalk/browser/Run.st:44: invalid scope resolution
>

> I did some searching on the internet/news groups, and didn't find much
> help... I do have the tk-dev stuff installed, which was one question
> that paolo had asked someone else who had this problem.
>
> I have built gst on MacOSX as well, and the browser exhibited the same
> behaviour.
>
> Any thoughts?

Hi Brian,

I was waiting for somebody who knows the browser better to reply, and I
don't know if you got a reply off-list, but anyway...

On my system at least, libtcl and libtk are .so libraries, so I think
that it is actually those libraries that are failing to load, rather
than blox-tk. The error you get when a module fails to load is the same
regardless of what happened.

I don't think that there's a patched version available (well, there is
2.1h, I suppose), which means building from (patched) source, I'm afraid.

Mike