Re: [Help-smalltalk] Documentation syntax

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Documentation syntax
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:52:24 +0200

Mike Anderson wrote:
I can see why an online documentation system doesn't seem needed. And
the short awnser is: it isn't. Smalltalk was designed to be used while
working in the system, like Squeak (as far as I can see). So all
documentation can be done with a browser/viewer within the virtual
machine.
On the contrary: when I first started learning (GNU) Smalltalk, I
referred to the generated HTML docs extensively. In addition, having to
install a package in order to find out anything about it is something I
find very off-putting about other-dialect packages. I'm sure that the
same is true of GSt.
More so, since the browser is not the main development environment (which is not going to change anytime soon).
The Javadoc/doxygen method is:
PositionableStream >> copyFrom: start to: end
   "Answer the collection on which the receiver is streaming, from
     the start-th item to the end-th
   @arg start The starting position
   @arg end The ending position
   @see Smalltalk.Collection
   "
    ^collection copyFrom: start to: end
OK, but the method is now five lines of comment and one of code, and
arguably didn't need the two lines of comment that it started with.
Yep. They're only there for the sake of documentation generation, not because a code reader would need them.
What I was getting that was that, if you have "copyFrom: start to: end",
and you also have "from the start-th item to the end-th", what
additional information are you getting from "@arg start The starting
position" and "@arg end The ending position" ?
Nothing :-) But I still think it would add something to have @{start} and @{end} show up in a different font. And bonus points if you can get ASCII "markup" like "_Do not_ do this" into formatting markup.
Also, if "Answer the collection" was written "Answer the Collection",
then Collection could be made into a link without adding any markup.
That's true.