Re: [Help-smalltalk] Some problems installing gst 2.2

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Some problems installing gst 2.2
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 09:57:48 +0200

Compiling
/home/manveru/pkgbuilds/smalltalk/src/smalltalk-2.2/elc.13490/gst-mode.el...

While compiling toplevel forms in file /home/manveru/pkgbuilds/smalltalk/src/smalltalk-2.2/elc.13490/gst-mode.el:
  !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "comint"))
Error occurred processing gst-mode.el: Cannot open load file: "comint"

This I just fixed. I'm now checking for comint.el and not installing gst-mode.el unless it is present.

You will find it in a short while in the CVS version of GNU Smalltalk.

which i solved by searching on google and finding out that most likely xemacs-sumo is missing for compilation of the el-file.
And, I must say, it seems weird that you have to install X11 in order to get something as important as comint. So this is something you should complain about with your distro makers.
now i must say that xemacs-sumo is having its own long tail of dependencies and to make this pkg as leightweight as possible i decided to see what options ./configure has to offer.
i found --without-emacs

Yeah! just what i need - i thought...
In fact it should be just what you need. Except that there's a cut-n-paste bug and --disable-emacs would work instead. :-(
some compilations and recheckings and make clean and extractions later i found that the option doesn't do anything at all, and so it forced me to install xemacs-sumo with everything (i think that in total it's got a 40MB, not to mention that it has further dependencies on X11...)

oh well, i hope this will be fixed in a new version, or at least with some patch... i guess it's just a mislead iffi or something :) [sorry for the lengthy bugreport]
No problem.
the next thing, after installing - no infopages were installed...
I see them in $prefix/info. I don't know if your distro still has the symlink from there to $prefix/share/info. If not, you may want to use --infodir=/usr/share/info to have the pages installed in the right place.
they just hang around in the /doc directory
the gst-manpage is there though.

hope this didn't sound too negative, i'm really fascinated by this language and gst works flawless, it's just my concerns for packaging GST for a broader audience (archlinux), since i'm sure they don't like the perspective of being forced to install emacs just for generating of some emacs-el-file they won't even use ;)
Don't worry -- packaging bugreports are even more useful than crashes to some extent, because packaging hiccups are what will convince users to move away and do not use GNU Smalltalk at all.