Re: [Help-smalltalk] Community sprint

From: Bram Neijt
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Community sprint
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:25:36 +0200

Hi Luca,

I'm actually doing much of the same at smalltalk.infosnel.nl :-D

On 9/29/06, Luca Bruno <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,
i'm creating a simple homepage (from an HTML template :P), i'm not a good
graphic but i think updates must be done in order to gain people.
Right. However, I find most community sites and wiki systems tend to
become chaotic: you are looking at the views of various people and
they might be contradicting. This is why I choose a static system with
user comments and a forum. More interaction may come as needed ;-)

An about page: what's smalltalk, what's GNU smalltalk, its features,
purposes and objectives.
A community page: simply describe the mailing list and how to contribute
to GNU smalltalk trough code and bug reporting
http://smalltalk.infosnel.nl/byExample/development.php . This is
uncanny! (if that is how you write that word)

Screenshots page of blox-tk and gtk environments
Good idea, haven't done that yet. And more examples would be good.

Comparisong between existing smalltalk versions
Smalltalk.org does a good job at this, I think.

A CVS page describing how to fetch smalltalk and make diffs.
Don't forget to mention the development page at savannah.

The logo: the smalltalk baloon with the gnu on it
Haha, I had the same problem! Posted about it a week or so ago. I've
created a cartoon speech balloon with the gnu in it. However, I'm just
the fan site. The actual "GNU Smalltalk logo" should be done by
developer's choice. Maybe start a competition?

What are my dreams:
1) Have a good set of libraries
Same here. However, I think the C-bindings should be placed at the
background more, simply for portability: writing things in smalltalk
will make it more portable. I would love a kind of GTKmm like
extension layer written in Smalltalk, keeping library dependencies to
a minimal. Maybe even a C to Smalltalk translator or compiler (like
the compilers for CLI and .NET).

2) Create scalable and portable applications in smalltalk (GST is the
unique choice at the moment)
Yes, I'm trying to get GNU Smalltalk to become _the_ cross platform
GTK GUI based application system.

This smalltalk implementation is currently unknown, but it can be really
important if we gain community... just this.
I do not think it is an unkown implementation. Smalltalk is simply not
really present at the moment.

To get the livelyhood we need to create applications the people can
use! At the moment, I know of only one "user" application: Bottom
feeder. And this is written in Visual Smalltalk!

Hope to see your logo soon,
 Bram