Re: [Help-smalltalk] New packaging system

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] New packaging system
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 18:59:59 +0200

Luca Bruno wrote:
Hello,
i was thinking of splitting packages.xml into more files, or better:
1) Have packages.xml for specifying each packages path (for example browser/ gtk.tar.gz, and so on)
2) Each package must have a package.xml containing its own informations
3) Use VFSHandler to handle packages, which can be directories or archives
Sure, why not. I agree with all of this (except that I would keep the possibility of a centralized packages.xml both for backwards compatibility and to ease pre-installation development).

My plan is to finish 2.3 as soon as possible and then (possibly on a new web site!) prepare a wishlist page for 2.4.