Re: RE : [Help-smalltalk] Including files

From: Mike Anderson
Subject: Re: RE : [Help-smalltalk] Including files
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 09:35:50 +0000

J Pfersich wrote:

> Why is it that File isn't a subclass of RealFileSystem.

Because it could be contained (not extracted) within an archive, or on a
remote server.

I must say that I don't think that the classes File and Directory have a
very clear idea of what they *are*, though.

To take some examples, it seems clear to me that Directory class >>
#working should return a Directory and not a String, and that Directory
>> contents should return a collection of Files. Unfortunately, in the
latter case it becomes difficult to pick out '.' and '..' (since you
usually want to ignore them).

Mike