Re: [Help-smalltalk] Creating "echo" in GNU Smalltalk

From: Mike Anderson
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Creating "echo" in GNU Smalltalk
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 12:29:46 +0000

Bram Neijt wrote:
> That takes care of the source. Now the hard parts...
> - How do I create a usable, distributable image without distributing
> the source. (My source is hopelessly distributed over hundreds of
> files with allot of secrets ;-) )

With file-ins the source is not actually contained in the image, but as
a reference to the source file. Run strings on your image to check, but
I think you're safe.

> - How could I make it replace my current echo binary (although not
> currently possible, without the extra flags). In short: make it
> 'self-contained' or executable.

chmod a+x echo.im

> PS and Offtopic: is there a way to load another image and call an
> object within that image? Effectively using other images as libraries?

I think that this is something akin to loading an image segment, ie.
incorporating compiled Smalltalk into your image. That's not possible,
but I'll go off on a little digression here, if you don't mind :)

Wouldn't it be nicer if you instead ran the other image and then
communicated with it by sending messages, maybe via http, for example?
Sure, it will be a little slower, but the image could even be located on
a remote server. It would also mean that your client wouldn't actually
have to be Smalltalk itself. Hmmm...

Mike