Re: [Help-smalltalk] BLOX vs GTK

From: David Given
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] BLOX vs GTK
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 12:22:54 +0100

Mike Anderson wrote:
[...]
> I'd agree totally, but wxWidgets is C++, isn't it? That means we'd need
> a C wrapper unless such a thing already exists.

I suspect SWIG will do that for you as part of the binding generation.

> [Personally, I run GIMP on Windows, and it looks fine to me. I don't
> understand how you (and other people) can describe it as dreadful]

Well, it doesn't use the native widget set, which means it is, by definition,
wrong. GTK on Windows normally uses a skin that tries to make it look more
like real Windows widgets, but there's a limit as to how far you can go with
that approach --- the result is always going to look *nearly*, but not quite,
like the native widget set. (You're typically in a world of pain if the user
changes any desktop settings.) What's more, it doesn't let you change the user
interface to match application standards. Your application is not only going
to look funny, but it's going to behave funny, too.

Cross-platform widget sets like wxWidgets, which use native widgets for all
their rendering, solve all these problems in a single stroke; and what's more,
they can use native functionality whereever possible, so you don't have to
worry about weird file dialogues, button ordering, toolbar graphics, keyboard
shortcuts, etc.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "There is one thing a man must do // Before his
+- www.cowlark.com --+ --- The Devil's DP Dictionary