[Help-smalltalk] Re: Trouble to compile gnu-smalltalk on FC5

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Trouble to compile gnu-smalltalk on FC5
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:59:27 +0200

Thank you for your help. I have to find out, that the
compiliation will fail, when to specified the '-j' option on
make. Without it the compiliation worked fine.
Ok, I'll look at it, it must be some missing dependency.
Unfortunately, rpmlint will produeced the following error
messages:

E: gnu-smalltalk shlib-with-non-pic-code /usr/lib/libgst.so.4.1.1
The listed shared libraries contain object code that was compiled
without -fPIC. All object code in shared libraries should be
recompiled separately from the static libraries with the -fPIC
option.

It will be nice, if you can give me a hint to solve this problem.
Remove this: "LIBTOOL += --tag=LIBGST" from libgst/Makefile.am. Performance will drop for the shared libgst.so, so make sure that the gst executable is linked against the static libgst.a (nm gst should yield a lot of "t _gst_something" entries and no "U gst_something" entry.