Re: [Help-smalltalk] "Answer" as a docstring convention

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] "Answer" as a docstring convention
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 08:41:12 +0100

Was this convention carried over by Steve Byrne, or someone else, from
the Blue Book?
I took it from the Black Book, "IBM Smalltalk: The Language" by David N. Smith. I would not be surprised if it dated back to the blue book.

I think "answer" captures the message-sending (as opposed to method-calling) spirit of Smalltalk very well. That's another reason why it might very well be as ancient as the Blue Book or even earlier Smalltalks. (There's a Smalltalk-76 article somewhere on the net, a quick check could be interesting).