Re: [Help-smalltalk] "Answer" as a docstring convention

From: J Pfersich
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] "Answer" as a docstring convention
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 19:28:09 -0700

Although there are classes that have "returns" in their documentation "comments".

At 11:23 PM 11/7/2006 -0600, Stephen Compall wrote:
A silly diversion from normal GST matters:

Even before I decided to make a go of actually learning and using
Smalltalk in a real application, GNU Smalltalk affected my programming
style in all languages in one profound way: the method documentation
seems to use the word "answer" rather than "return".

I adopted this convention in all my function and method documentation in
all languages I programmed in.  I wrote code in Scheme, CL, Ruby, C#,
Java, C, and maybe some I forgot saying "answer", long before I actually
started writing Smalltalk code.

It seemed to me that "answer" better captured the spirit of the
function/method interface better than "return", however this may have
clashed with code written by others.

Was this convention carried over by Steve Byrne, or someone else, from
the Blue Book?  Else, where did it come from?  Has anyone else
experienced this strange psychological reaction?

--
Stephen Compall
http://scompall.nocandysw.com/blog