[Help-smalltalk] license issue(s)

From: Krishna
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] license issue(s)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 17:46:25 +0530

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Since you've got a lawyer's ear, can you ask him/her if it would be
kosher to keep the parts running on top of the vm under the current
license (vm license := GPL, image := BSD)?

I've been doing that for GNU Smalltalk (with s/BSD/LGPL/) for years. It
does not force anybody who wants to distribute a program, to release it
under the GPL.

The image is just the input data to the VM.  It is not part in any way
of it.

The above is from a thread in the strongtalk group
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/strongtalk-general/browse_frm/thread/b2750795b0ba45e6/304082b9316695c5?hl=en#304082b9316695c5

My question is: Is it ok to deploy applications (on an internal
company network) using GNU Smalltalk without GPLing the source?

What about the foreign function interface? Isn't that part of the VM?

Cheers,
Krishna
--
I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty
to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble !