Re: [Help-smalltalk] Smaller images possible? (Or dynamic images?)

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Smaller images possible? (Or dynamic images?)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:42:44 +0100

However, I've created a few of these and my image is always around 1.5
Mb. I can see how this is the full image, but I was wondering if there
is some way to "strip" the image down and keep only the bytecode of my
source to distribute? (Like you have static and dynamic binaries)

That could be something for 2.4 of 2.5. But currently idea would be to parse the source code and dump it in a short format (including the bytecodes for the methods), so that you can merge it with the standard image. Same as the .pyc files in Python.

And if loading the image was faster, it could be seen as an advantage (not having to parse the system classes source code) rather than a burden.