[Help-smalltalk] Re: GST on the JVM?

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: GST on the JVM?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:16:38 +0100

In any case, it seemed like, respecting the license, that GNU Smalltalk could be a source of much good code for such a system and its image. I know right now GST is heavily tied to C etc.

Not only I cannot do anything against such a project (as long as the library is kept under GPL or LGPL), but it would be fun to see how it ends. People have been doing something similar for JPython or JRuby.

It would have interesting features such as native threading, also. But I'm not going to work on it. It would not fix the worst problems of gst, including startup time and awful syntax. It would gain bindings to the Java class library, but not necessarily to C libraries. The only advantage would be native threading (but note that GST's current threading can be faster than Java threads, it just does not use MP hardware!) and a better GC.