Re: [Help-smalltalk] faster startup 2/n

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] faster startup 2/n
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:43:47 +0100

It seems to me that this has other benefits than just speed; making it easier to re-load images that link with C libraries.

Note that this has not changed the behavior; it simply moved things from load-time to save-time. See the init_dictionary_on_image_load diffs.

Is it necessarily correct to kill a call-in process, though? Say the process in question was a GUI event that triggered a long-running calculation. There wouldn't be anywhere to return a result to, but it would be the side-effects (displaying the results in the GUI) that were important.

I would do this in a separate process. The fact that call-ins are a separate process is an implementation detail (see a recent post by Eliot Miranda in comp.lang.smalltalk about how call-ins are handled in VisualWorks -- note that this part of the GNU Smalltalk design was done without knowing how VW does it).