Re: [Help-smalltalk] Questions on GNU Smalltalk packaging

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Questions on GNU Smalltalk packaging
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:05:13 +0100

 * is `gst.im' an architecture independent file?

No (not yet).

 * does GNU Smalltalk dynamic loading mechanism rely on the `.la' files?
   For instance, should `i18n.la' be installed?

Yes.

 * if I drop unsupported/ and examples/ from the installed files, should
   I update the `packages.xml' file?

It's not strictly necessary.

Also, I've noticed that:

 * when GNU Smalltalk is configured with `--disable-static' the
   generated (and installed) `gst' binary has an RPATH set to the
   location where files where extracted, e.g. if I extract GNU
   Smalltak sources into $GST, the compiled `gst' will have an
   RPATH to `$GST/libgst/.libs'

I seem to recall that the same problems occurred with Fedora. Jochen, what did you do for this?

 * in the generated `gst.im', we can find with `strings' the full path
   to where `Finish.st' was extracted, i.e. `$GST/scripts/Finish.st'.

This should not be a problem anymore as of 2.3.x.

Thanks,