[Help-smalltalk] Trouble with sockets

From: Mike Anderson
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Trouble with sockets
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 22:46:54 +0000

Here is a test script which exhibits something of the problems I'm
having, which I'm now thinking are because I'm opening a pipe during the
HTTP request, and the interaction between pipe and socket is unhealthy.

This runs without any issues:

gst test.st -a file

It opens a pipe on 'cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state', and prints the
contents.

gst test.st

Creates a web server listening on port 8080.

In this case, sending a request with...

wget http://localhost:8080/test

...results in both client and server hanging after the start of the
response. The output from the server's transcript ends at 'START', which
is just before it opens and reads the pipe.

The strace output is attached. I don't pretend to understand all of it,
but there are some things I did not expect, like the SIGSEGVs!? What is
the significance of all the calls to mprotect?

The trace is the entire process - including loading the WebServer
package. The server socket is connected round about line 8913; I think
the web request comes in at line 9074; 'START' is printed at line 9225;
and you can see the cat process forked at line 9284.

Mike