Re: [Help-smalltalk] Trouble with sockets

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Trouble with sockets
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:39:09 +0100

The strace output is attached. I don't pretend to understand all of it,
but there are some things I did not expect, like the SIGSEGVs!? What is
the significance of all the calls to mprotect?
Generational garbage collection. :-)

And the SIGSEGVs ?

SIGSEGVs are writes to the oldspace. The SIGSEGV handler marks the page as having a reference to new objects, and unprotects it so that it does not cause further SIGSEGVs.

At garbage collection time, if the page does not have any other references to new objects, it is protected again.