[Help-smalltalk] Re: [RFT] scripting improvements, part 2

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: [RFT] scripting improvements, part 2
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 04:02:44 -0500

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
I'd call it a feature, unless the scripting syntax will make it possible
for method definitions to refer to "lexical globals":

No, it won't.  The temporaries don't leak, it is just an
implementation detail that they are implemented using an
internal BindingDictionary.

Oh, in that case I would expect, having no other input, that it stuffs the value in Namespace current, as messy as that may seem from a Smalltalk perspective.

Sure, that was clear.  Your example could be actually as
simple as

a := 42.
Object compile: 'gotcha "shouldn't compile!" ^a'.

So compiling a method captures the current temporaries dictionary?

--
;;; Stephen Compall ** http://scompall.nocandysw.com/blog **
Failure to imagine vast possibilities usually stems from a lack of