Re: [Help-smalltalk] [CFT] GNU Smalltalk 2.3.4 close to release

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] [CFT] GNU Smalltalk 2.3.4 close to release
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 13:54:47 +0200

This tarball does include the recent testsuite improvements, but I'm still not sure whether I should merge them into 2.3.4 (if so, I should also write documentation for gst-load and gst-sunit before the final release).

I don't think it's needed, unless you plan to support the 2.3.x series
for a very long time.

I want to support it until 3.1 is ready (though I don't have a clue of what will be in 3.1!). That means, probably, late 2008. I want to make the conversion utility as smooth as possible, but I do need to support 2.x for a short while after 3.0 is out.

In general, if the testsuite goes in, I'll backport from 3.0 some more functionality (including for example the Collection>>#from: changes) as long as it does not affect stability -- i.e. as long as I can just "make dist" and release.

Instead, if the testsuite does not go in, the series will probably end with 2.3.4 or 2.3.5.

Your results and Thomas's confirm that 2.3.4 would go out with a single bug (major, but applying to one platform only). I'll backport patch-357 and release.

Thanks to both!