[Help-smalltalk] Re: problem compiling libffi on Core 2 Duo

From: Eric Christopher
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: problem compiling libffi on Core 2 Duo
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 13:48:36 -0700

The interesting parts are:

I then ran ./configure CFLAGS='-D__i386__=1 -Wall -pipe -O2' and followed up with make which exited giving me a lot of messages like src/x86/darwin.S:41:Invalid mnemonic 'pushl'

This is a Core 2 Duo; my machine (and I assume that of most other
Darwin/x86 testers) is a Core Duo. What kinds of breakage might there
be?

For the x86 ffitarget.h to compile, either __i386__ or __x86_64__ must be defined. Neither of these seem to be defined by that compiler (gcc
4.0.1 20050625 (prerelease)).

Does that ring a bell?

Unfortunately it doesn't ring a bell, but those should be defined in at least recent gccs from apple. I don't have a released compiler installed on any of my machines handy, but looking at gcc -E -dM should get the preprocessor macros defined.

Do you have a version of the compiler that was used?

-eric