[Help-smalltalk] ST on Java (was Re: GNU vs. Squeak vs. VW)

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] ST on Java (was Re: GNU vs. Squeak vs. VW)
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:45:12 -0500

On Sat, 2007-07-14 at 09:17 -0400, Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
> I've wandered around the idea of rolling my own Smalltalk on Java,
> perhaps drawing from GST. But that was not straightforward because GST
> has (forgive me) some excessive internal complexity in how it defines
> itself which it was not easy to see how to map onto Java. I still think
> it is a good idea to have a Smalltalk that runs well on Java though --
> ideally one that, like Python, runs on Java and runs on C.

Feel free to join us in #gnu-smalltalk on irc.freenode.net, where
regular Sukoshi is looking into doing just this to support a commercial
project, using Per Bothner's gnu.bytecode Java package to compile
Smalltalk classes to Java classes that can work somehow with Java code.

--
;;; Stephen Compall ** http://scompall.nocandysw.com/blog **
"Peta" is Greek for fifth; a petabyte is 10 to the fifth power, as