Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU vs. Squeak vs. VW

From: Frank Sergeant
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU vs. Squeak vs. VW
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 12:57:15 -0500

Paul D. Fernhout <address@hidden> wrote:

> Bill--
>
> I feel the same sort of frustrations with using Smalltalk to develop
> free (or commercial) software. All the Smalltalks have various issues --
> just different ones. It is very frustrating.

I have enjoyed reading Paul's and Bill's comments and thought I might
jump in and ask how the regular GNU Smalltalk users go about using GNU
Smalltalk.

Both mentioned their desire for a GUI and for for the debugger.

I certainly agree, in general.  I feel the need especially for a
debugger (and browser and inspector) but I wonder if the GST regulars
are already doing the equivalent in some way?  Perhaps by using Emacs?

I often use Emacs with several programming languages but especially with
Common Lisp.  I don't even use the fancy Emacs SLIME interface to Lisp,
just the default interface that comes with Emacs.  (Position the cursor
at the end of a form and press C-x C-e to execute the form, sending the
results to the Lisp buffer that is open, etc.)

Could the regular users of GST describe how they go about developing and
debugging in GST?

--
Frank