Re: [Help-smalltalk] old vs new format

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] old vs new format
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:25:49 +0200

there is an interesting problem with new syntax and
method sources. Although new syntax is cool for writing
scripts in text editor, in GUI browser I whould like to
have old syntax in code pane, i.e

The coexisting between old and new format is a problem that will be solved later, as soon as all the source code has been converted to the new syntax. It is the root cause of the mutate.st expected failure in "make check".

In the end, compilation of a single method (Behavior>>#compile:) will have to accept methods with brackets, or class mutation won't work.

Because method source is just a reference to the source code file,
the only possibility is to use RBFormatter to format source code in
old syntax. But all hand-made formating will be lost. Any other idea?

I don't mind seeing <category: ''> in the browser, especially since GNU Smalltalk's browser does not have drag'n'drop to move methods between categories.

I agree though that the brackets would look a little "foreign" in the browser. The simplest solution is to:

1) detect methods whose original source code has no brackets, and use RBFormatter on those only. Methods with brackets won't be passed through the RBFormatter.

2) if there is request, we can remove the brackets when showing code in the browser, and add them back just before compiling. It shouldn't be that hard.