Re: [Help-smalltalk] performance of the json parser

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] performance of the json parser
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 18:06:05 -0500

On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 18:57 +0100, Robin Redeker wrote:
> The same string takes, in the fast C JSON parser I know, only 0.0165 ms.
> And the slowes C JSON parser I know takes 0.147 ms.  I don't know how
> fast smalltalk is when it comes down to string processing, but I
> certainly would not expect an avg of 9ms to parse that string, at least
> not with that variance. There must be something else that slows this
> down so much.

How about GC?

Try rerunning the test showing every time result.  If it seems that GC
is running pretty often, remember that every Iconv makes its own
1000-byte buffer, in addition to whatever bytes you use in parsing.

And of course encoding support has its own overhead.  How are those C
parsers in that field?

--
Our last-ditch plan is to change the forums into a podcast, then send
RSS feeds into the blogosphere so our users can further debate the