[Help-smalltalk] Re: new to gst coming from VAST

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: new to gst coming from VAST
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:46:01 -0600

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 19:04 +0100, RK wrote:
> We are in a dilemma of these:
> - port our applications to other ST system.
> - port to other language/framework (some already done and moved to Python)

Hopefully you can swing the former. :)

> *** My questions:
> - is there a HOWTO or a QUICK GUIDE about GST for Stupid VASTers?  :)
> (main differences in the use of the system, etc)

Not really; you may want to run through the tutorial in the official
manual.  GST is very similar to ST-80.  I believe some methods are
present to enable filein of VAST fileouts.

> - 90% of our customers use Win32. Any plan for a native release?

The project doesn't have the resources for that at this time.
Volunteers welcome.

Remember, as a GNU project, the priority is to work well on GNU systems.
As Paolo, the maintainer, also runs OS X, it tends to work well there as
well.  Of course an OS X port is not nearly as involved as Windows.

> - One of our key application running at 6 customers is a CMS system,
> heavily depending on the WebConnection feature of VAST. Is there any web
> server component for GST? Pure CGI is more than enough, as it is only a
> CMS system, not the runtime. I'm also afraid of moving the database layer...

A DB abstraction with a few drivers is included, as well as GLORP.
There is also a web server.  Please look in the packages/ directory of
the source tree.  The manual has a section on how to use and make
packages.

> GNU Smalltalk version 2.3.3

You should *definitely* upgrade to the latest alpha release.  Some of
what I said above isn't available in 2.3.x.

--
Our last-ditch plan is to change the forums into a podcast, then send
RSS feeds into the blogosphere so our users can further debate the