Re: [Help-smalltalk] new to gst coming from VAST

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] new to gst coming from VAST
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 12:15:51 +0100

Paolo and others, please please forgive me as the opinion may be too straight and not 100% true.

No problem.  Sincerity is never a problem.

BLOX is very basic. Experienced smalltalkers most probably would dislike it. The main problem of Blox/Browser is that it's not in extensive use by anyone (this is just my assumption).

BLOX/Browser is a good system to *browse* things, but it is very immature to *write* things.

- One of our key application running at 6 customers is a CMS system, heavily depending on the WebConnection feature of VAST. Is there any web server component for GST? Pure CGI is more than enough, as it is only a CMS system, not the runtime.

This part is developing. Too early for production.

Actually, that part is not too early for production. At least it might have bitrotten a bit, but the code has the functionality and was relatively well tested.

I'm also afraid of moving the database layer...

Anyone tested DBI? Stress tests, unit tests?

The MySQL and SQLite bindings are tested. They don't have (yet) stored procedures, which means you have to be extra careful about SQL injection attacks.

My whole opinion about Gst is not optimistic: While having very sweet features (some I cannot find in other breeds), _I'm_ _pretty_ _much_ _unsure_ _about_ _Gst_ _is_ _ready_ _for_ _production_ _use_.

My goal is to make 3.0 the first release that is ready for production use, and competitive with other scripting languages (i.e. there are few available packages, but all the core ingredients are there; this was the reason for the major overhaul of the packaging system, which is the second biggest 3.0 feature after the new syntax).

Feel free to report what is still lacking.

I tried to understand it deeply (see my post about wiki/status page), but received no response. I decided to dig things myself, but I cannot afford spending much time into it.

Sorry for the delay.  I took some time to fill your table now.