[Help-smalltalk] Re: criticism of the new syntax

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: criticism of the new syntax
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:11:26 +0100

MyClass category: 'new category' extend [
    "more methods!"
]
Yes, even without the "extend" keyword, that's feasible.

So, if I want to break down a large class into multiple files with each file
containing one category, what should I write?

So far, you need to use

MyClass extend [
]

and write the category manually in each method.  Regarding

MyClass category: '...' [
]

I said "it's feasible", and I'll implement it. But not now, it's too late in the release cycle. I'm very sorry for this, it is a valuable addition.

What does the keyword "extend" do?

It basically says that instance variables declared with "|a b c|" should be *added* to the existing one, instead of replacing them.