Re: [Help-smalltalk] patch: gst-2.95h on Mac OS X 10.3.9

From: Tony Garnock-Jones
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] patch: gst-2.95h on Mac OS X 10.3.9
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 19:16:34 +0000

Hi Paolo,

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Thanks! The second part is, I think, wrong, but since gst doesn't use closures I don't care much.

Yes, it seemed a bit worrying to me, as well. I did a bit of searching to see if anyone else had run into it, and the Python ctypes library did, around March 2006.

From http://osdir.com/ml/python.ctypes/2006-03/msg00055.html:

"OS X 10.3 doesn't know the live_support flag, and since its only an
optimisation, it can be omitted."

The OS X assembler manual page suggests it's something a little more important than a simple optimisation, but it's not a very clear section of the manual.

You may also be interested in http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-bugs-list/2006-May/033334.html.

Regards,
  Tony