Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.0 released

From: Tomi Neste
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.0 released
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 18:39:34 +0200

Isaac Gouy <address@hidden> kirjoitti Tue, 08 Jan 2008 18:32:50 +0200:

--- Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:

Isaac Gouy wrote:
> After a basic
>
> ./configure prefix=/opt/gst
> make
>
> I measured the benchmarks game programs with 3.0 and noticed much
> longer times compared to 2.3.6

I don't recall if 2.3.6 was compiled with --enable-jit.

iirc 2.3.6 was compiled with --enable-jit and I think you're saying
that  will still work with 3.0

Also, you have to wrap the main body in a class or an

Eval [
]

block instead of just having the bang-separated

     ... !

This is listed in the NEWS file (and the announcement) as:

"Evaluated code now puts undeclared variables in a private namespace
(so
that you do not have to declare temporaries) and defers the
resolution
of undefined variable bindings until the time of their first access.

Unfortunately, this slows down evaluated code noticeably; you can get
back the performance by putting code in a method or an Eval (in the
latter case, you will have to declare temporaries explicitly, or the
code will still use the slower deferred variable binding)."