[Help-smalltalk] Swazoo 2.2 beta with fast file upload

From: Janko Mivšek
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Swazoo 2.2 beta with fast file upload
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 19:49:38 +0200

Dear Smalltalkers,

New Swazoo 2.2 is ready for beta testing, with much improved upload (input streaming) performance as a main new feature.

On Squeak it uploads 15 times faster than before, achieving 1.5MB/s throughput locally on my Linux 3.2GHz PC.

On VisualWorks it is even more impressive: 30 times better, achieving 15MB/s throughput. This means only 20s for 300MB file upload!

In both cases upload performance is about half of the download one due to additional MIME parsing needed.

I can say that now we have an Smalltalk web server with comparable performance to others in terms on upload performance too. This also means that Swazoo is ready for demanding upload tasks like video uploading as well, while video (like screencast) serving is a common practice for a while.

Please help testing it. It is available here:

- Squeak: http://www.squeaksource.com/Swazoo/Swazoo-2.2.beta1.mcz

- VisualWorks: in public Store: Swazoo 2.2beta1

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek