[Help-smalltalk] Re: GNOME Smalltalk?

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: GNOME Smalltalk?
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 01:15:34 -0700 (PDT)

> Still, if there is standardisation at the Kernel and Class library
> level, then there really shouldn't be a problem having multiple VMs.

Fully agreed.

> > 1) Syx and Panda have no clue (not yet) of what a pollDictionary, a
> > namespace,
> > security policies, syntax, packages and concurrency are

GNU Smalltalk supports the fileout syntax, we can use it.  Packages
and namespaces are not necessary features for this project (namespaces
are visible in a GUI, but building a good GUI framework like
OmniBrowser but for Hopscotch-like GUIs is what this project could be
about).  Security policies are not functional right now, they are
there only because they were part of my master thesis.

> > 2) Since the VM is different, some of the choices in the smalltalk code
> > could bring problem for
> > scaling and performances

This has not been a problem for Seaside, which has much heavier
requirements on scaling.

> > Then for GNOME Smalltalk, in the far future (at least for Syx):
> > 1) I'd make a GSIDE (GTK+ Smalltalk IDE) then add features for GNOME when
> > you're on
> > GNOME, as you all know I'm very careful about portability.

Yeah, GNOME is just a desktop environment.  I'm sure that 99% of the
features would only need GTK+.