[Help-smalltalk] your emulation of select vs. winsock

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] your emulation of select vs. winsock
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:27:09 +0200

I was wondering how does your Win32 emulation of select work with respect to sockets. Sockets are normal filehandles in Win32, right?

I have two questions then:

1) If I am correct, your emulation only works with file descriptors. So I should wrap all socket functions under Win32 so that they call _open_osfhandle or _get_osfhandle: otherwise, socketx.c receives half-file descriptors and half-file handles.

2) Even though MsgWaitForMultipleObjects works for sockets, I guess GetFileType should be called earlier, so that the state of sockets is correctly returned as readable or writable or both.