Re: [Help-smalltalk] gst & scripting

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] gst & scripting
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 13:39:37 +0100

Damien Pollet wrote:
> I just tested with #!/usr/bin/env gst and #!/opt/local/bin/gst
>
> It works fine with both, except the latter is specific to my
> installation (macports).

It should be

  #! /usr/bin/env gst -f

to pass command-line arguments and shut up the garbage collection
message.  However, passing more than one argument on the #! lines is not
portable.  It would work instead to use

  #! /path/to/gst -f

but as you said it is not portable.

So that's why someone (not me, I don't remember who it was) concocted...

>> #! /bin/sh
>> "exec" "gst" "-f" "$0" "$@"

... this one, which is actually quite elegant.  It is similar to how Tcl
scripts are invoked with

  #! /bin/sh
  # Tcl sees the next line as a continuation of the comment \
  exec wish "$0" "$@"