Re: [Help-smalltalk] Tracer tool

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Tracer tool
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 15:32:11 +0200

>> Is it possible to send a message to an object inside the
>> methodsend_block_value ?

My naive answer would be, send_block_value is for blocks and
send_message_internal is for methods.  But without describing exactly
what you're doing, we may just be running in circles.

Everything is possible, but hear me when I said "no additional if's in
the hot paths".  I allowed Derek's profiler if because you can always
change an "if (profiler)" to "if (some_weird_functionality) { if
(profiler) ... }".

> Instead of adding a new variable maybe I can reuse native_ip in the context
> structure ?

That would break the JIT, that I still dream about fixing one day.