Re: [Help-smalltalk] Iliad: sessions and streaming

From: Nicolas Petton
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Iliad: sessions and streaming
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 00:26:46 +0200

Le lundi 22 juin 2009 à 23:49 +0200, Joachim Jaeckel a écrit :
> Thanks a lot Nicolas!
>
> The session is correctly handled! :-)
>
> Thanks again for your support!

You're welcome :)

> It's great. Everything is working!
>
> Now I'll start with the datbase connection.
>
> As I see it correctly, there is only one type of session for the whole
> vm, isn't it?

Yes, that's right.

> Do you think (currently it's not neccessary for me, but maybe for other
> installations...) it would be possible in the future, to configure a
> session class for a specific application?

It's not planned. The main reason is that the Session class itself can
be extended with the #preference* methods. Another reason is that I
don't need it ;)

But now that you ask, I think this could be a preference of Application,
so each application could set a special session class if needed.

> (Even though, I think there would be not a great differences in the
> session-types... The reason, why I need a special Session, is a
> database-connection, which should be closed, if the session is closed.
> Other data could go into the preferences of the session...)
>
> Otherwise, the general database-connection could also go as an
> class-variable into the application...
>
> How do you handle database-connections with Iliad in your Applications?
> (In my perl-framework, I use a db-connection for every request, but I
> was thinking about using a connection pooling...)

For rapid prototyping I just put my objects in a singleton "repository"
class, else I really like SandstoneDb. I'm not a big fan of relational
databases. If I have to use one, I like to use ROE or GLORP to make the
OR mapping for me.

(BTW, I have an early port of SandstoneDb here, in case someone is
interested, I could share it).

> But let me note another thing:
>
> I have sometimes with my login-dialog the phänomenon, that I get the
> "Object: nil error: did not understand 'anyDataReady"
>
> This comes up, with or without the special Session class, and even in
> the old-code (I think it was revision 1342 that I was using before
> today). Not every time I press the save or cancel button in this dialog,
> only sometimes. (Mostly if I click several times on the forget_password
> link and than on one of the save or cancel button.
>
> Currently it seems to me, that everything is working as expected, even
> if this error is thrown, but maybe someone would like to have a look
> into it...

I experienced it too.

This bug doesn't seem to be related to Iliad, but to Swazoo. There is
also another annoying bug with multipart forms...

Cheers!

Nico