Re: [Help-smalltalk] Logging facility for GNU-smalltalk

From: Joachim Jaeckel
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Logging facility for GNU-smalltalk
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 09:27:59 +0200

Hi Stefan,

maybe I got you wrong (if that's the case, please excuse),

Logging should always go to a stream and not be hardwired to
assume files.

Does that mean, that the user who uses the logging-functionality should care about handling the stream?

I don't think so. Logging should be less user-interactive as possible in my opinion. (And configurable to fullfill the needs of the programmer.)

Logging to a stream should be an option in my opinion but not the usual case...

And it is much easier to test:

logger logSomething: 'whatever'.
logger logStream contents == 'whatever'

You don't want to test that reading and writing a file works,
that's Paolo's job :-)

That's something where I absolutely agree!

Also, one could implement a "tee" like functionality, i.e.
duplicating the log output on both stdout and a file. Or even
piping it (eg via nc) to a remote location.

That's something, what I would like to see in the logging interface.

Regards,
Joachim.