Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Logging facility for GNU-smalltalk

From: Stefan Schmiedl
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Logging facility for GNU-smalltalk
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:32:43 +0200

Joachim Jaeckel (2009-07-09 13:50):

> Hi! Sorry for the delay in answering, I'm just back to the keyboard, but
> only for a few minutes...

same here ... it's obviously one of those days.

> StreamOutputHandler should be contained in the logger. Even as a
> superclass for File-output-handling and whatever.

yep.

> But as I understand, it seems to me, that we use the logging a bit
> different. (Please don't understand me wrong, the discussion is really
> interesting for me!)

Don't worry about that, everybody around here is very friendly.
If you were not listening and calling us names for doing this
different from you, that swould be something else...

> Logging (for me) should be a black box. I don't care, to what my logging
> is written and if I need a special action at the start/end of the
> logging. (e.g. opening/closing the log-file, Flushing the output or:
> writing the log as an html-file, you need some closing </body></html> at
> the end of the log-file) beside of a configuration-file, which could be
> altered without rewriting program-code.

ah ... so you're running a Logger asConfiguredIn: aPath. Nice idea.
That's basically something to decorate a FileLogger with, and is a
perfect fit for the way you are using your code.

Now me, I'm coming from a different direction: I see you developing
a potentially extremely useful library that is being well received, too.
Now is my chance to speak, to discover why the code is done the way it
is, how you intend it to be used, and, finally, to challenge your
assumptions with my own.

Now we're discussing, throwing ideas back and forth, doing so in a
very civil manner (with too much premature apologizing for maybe
stepping on somebody's toes :-). That's great, that's what this
list is here for.

> Time is running...

... and still I'm waffling on ...

> Would be nice if we end up with a logging-utility, that serves most of
> our all needs...

The Logger To End All Logging, got a ring to it :-)

s.