Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Logging facility for GNU-smalltalk

From: Stefan Schmiedl
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Logging facility for GNU-smalltalk
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:47:05 +0200

Paolo Bonzini (2009-07-09 14:02):

> Agreed, that's the point of the output handler no?  My idea of the class
> hierarchy would be:
>
>   OutputHandler
>     StreamOutputHandler
>       TextOutputHandler
>       HTMLOutputHandler
>     SyslogOutputHandler

I don't know anything about how to talk to a syslogd. Why can
SyslogOutputHandler not be a StreamOutputHandler?

> What do you think?

I'd like to throw the idea of a filter chain into the discussion.
Something similar to what I think you can do with apache nowadays.
Or what Seaside does with component decorations.

Want your messages plain text? That's the default.
As HTML? Use a HTMLFiter.
Have them spelled backwards? Go develop your ReversingFilter yourself.

In this scenario, the mechanics of logging (i.e. writing onto a stream,
talking to a remote syslogd, whatever) would be separate from content
management.

It might also be possible that I'm talking about exactly the same thing
as Paolo, only with different words.

Curious,
s.