Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Iliad - updatePage: aPage

From: Stefan Schmiedl
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Iliad - updatePage: aPage
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:19:32 +0200

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 01:57:30 +0200
Nicolas Petton <address@hidden> wrote:

> Le mardi 14 juillet 2009 à 01:21 +0200, Paolo Bonzini a écrit :
> > > Indeed, I thought about that when refactoring Application building
> > > process. I thought that maybe being allowed to update any part of
> > > the page could still be usefull, to add a script at the end of
> > > the body, or add a css class to the body element.
> >
> > This can be useful.

ah ... because the "e" I'm using to build the views on is at least
one div below body, right? And with the page not being available to
the application any more, it would be non-trivial to get to the
body element.

For the sake of the discussion: updateHead: and updateBody:?

I still haven't explored how Iliad deals with decorators and what
kind of things they can do. Assuming that they can wrap their contents:
Would it make sense to implement the body tag as decorator?

> That's also what I think, but I wanted to know other opinions.
>
> What I would like now is to implement #updatePage: in Iliad.Widget
> directly, so every widget would have a chance to udpate the page, load
> css and js files on the fly, etc.

Be careful, there be dragons ... if you leave that to the widget, you
(as framework provider) will probably have to deal with annoying load
order issues, which you can't fix in general, or at least complaints
like "why does it load that plugin five times in a row?"

s.