[Help-smalltalk] Faster Sets and GST version 3.0.3

From: Ralph Boland
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Faster Sets and GST version 3.0.3
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:43:37 -0600

In  version 3.0.3  of gst that I apt-got from Ubuntu 9.04

in HashedCollection I get the code:

findElementIndex: anObject [
        "anObject is the content of an indexed variable. See what slot it should
         be inserted in."

        <category: 'private methods'>
        ^self findIndex: anObject

The above method is NOT  overwritten by Set.  Then in Set I find:

findIndex: anObject [
        "Tries to see if anObject exists as an indexed variable. As soon as nil
         or anObject is found, the index of that slot is answered"

        <category: 'private methods'>
        | index size element |
        self beConsistent.

        "Sorry for the lack of readability, but I want speed... :-)"
        index := (anObject hash scramble bitAnd: (size := self primSize) - 1) +
1.

        [((element := self primAt: index) isNil or: [element = anObject])
            ifTrue: [^index].
        index == size ifTrue: [index := 1] ifFalse: [index := index + 1]]
                repeat
    ]

So the offending compares are in  gst 3.0.3.

Obviously I am using an outdated version of gst and the most recent
version avoids the unnecessary compares.
Great, one less task for me to do.

> May be you can look at HashedCollection (the superclass of Dictionary and Set)
>
>  addWhileGrowing: value [
>        "Private - Add the newObject association to the receiver. Don't check
> for
>         the set to be full - we want SPEED!."
>
>        <category: 'private methods'>
>        self primAt: (self findElementIndex: value) put: value.
>        tally := tally + 1.
>        ^value
>    ]
>
> (I use the GIT version of GST)
>
> Cheers,
> Gwenael
>

> --
>
> VisualGST for GNU Smalltalk : http://visualgst.bioskop.fr/

No offence taken.
Great to here of the upcoming browser.
I want to learn GST someday; having a browser will help.

> Paolo

Regards,

Ralph Boland