Re: [Help-smalltalk] Editors for GST

From: glpunzi
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Editors for GST
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:50:32 +0200 (CEST)

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>  > I saw Smalltalk over Eclipse, a work by IBM.
>> > http://weeklysqueak.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/classesperspective.jpg
>> > http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/stdt
>> >
>> > Someone has tried some of this two options to work with GST?
>>
>> They could be a good idea, but time is finite.  Next year you could
>> propose an Eclipse Google Summer of Code project and do it.  Or just
>> do it now, after all it's free software...
>

> I've seen this work previously too but it seems this particular work on
> Eclipse is kept for IBM Internal use exclusively.
> Which means we have to start over.
> I am interested in such project. I have a reasonable experience with
> Eclipse
> development.
> I'm usually a bit overloaded but if more people are willing to start this,
> would gladly join.

The problem, always is time, and, I don't have experience in eclipse :(

I asked if somebody has the "Holy Grial" for editing Smalltalk code,
because I don't have much time nor Knowledge to help. I tried to port
Omnibrowser to GST to try to get a Web based IDE
(Seaside+Omnibrowser+XUL), and I crashed in the way, because I'm not a
guru of smalltalk. I'm very accustomed to IDEs, like Delphi or Squeak, and
is little frustrating to me to use "simple editors" developing in
smalltalk.

Obviously, to start something from scratch, I think is better to help Nico
and Gwennael with VisualGST or improve Blox, and get a smalltalkish IDE. I
get VisualGST working at work (not in my Mac, damn :D ), and looks like a
lot of job is do it. If we can put to VisualGST, some ideas taken from
other Smalltalks(1), a full working debugger, and later, a GUI Painter
like VW for example, then, we can go to conquest the world :D

While, I'm trying to learn and get used to GST at small steps.

(1) For example, VisualGST, can show all available packages/namespaces,
but only load it each at double click, like Smalltalk/X do.